Subscribe:

Pages

Thursday 18 September 2014

Feeling Low

I haven't posted for a while because I haven't felt very well.  The aftermath of the surgery is nothing like I thought it would be.  I'd assumed the week would pass with me following the recommended diet of 2-2-2 which is two weeks each of liquid, pureed and soft food, but things haven't worked out that way.

To start with, I didn't anticipate the desperate feeling I would experience at having to face another 2 weeks of liquids (soup and yoghurt) after the surgery.  The pureed stage was an absolute no no for me.  Have you ever pureed meat and then tried to eat it?  The texture is horrible and it tastes different.  Then the sickness kicked in - feeling sick, regurging and generally feeling yuck.

But the worst problem has been the inability to find a liquid I can drink without it tasting horrible, too sweet or making me feel very sick.  The dietitian, bariatric nurse, hospital and literature all stress the importance of sip, sip, sip because fluids are so important.  Unfortunately for me, most juices are too sweet for me and watering it down immediately makes it taste nasty.  I did manage to find a cheap orange and added a lot of ice cubes which went down okay, but because of the acidity, it affects my stomach.

Other liquids are just too sweet or taste horrible - so no squash, coffee, tea, smoothies or iced coffee for me now.  Even water, after 3-4 sips, makes me feel very nauseous.

On top of the sickness and regurging, I'm also experiencing the worst taste in my mouth - it's a kind of sweet/sour gone off milk taste and it doesn't really go away.  My lips taste sweet, I'm bringing food back up unto my mouth, especially when I lie down and just looking at food can make me feel ill.

There have been times when I've thought to myself, "What on earth have I done?  Why didn't I try to diet harder?"

As each day goes by, all I can hope an pray for, is an improvement in my symptoms as I just want to get back to normal.  I have no energy, I don't want to go anywhere, all I do is sleep and feel sick.  I know I'm whinging and I feel bad about that, but at the moment, I feel very low.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment